Feedback and Experimentation

My first studio day of the term was full of a range of ideas and feedback to the work which I have produced over the Christmas holidays. I started by laying my individual illustrations in a grid format which instantly highlighted which visuals were successful in both content and communication. By laying out my drawing work I was able to receive helpful ideas from my peers also working in the studio, gaining their opinions on which visuals worked well and how to improve my creative style. The ideas included adding both inks together within one experiment, and also creating a series of symbols to use as a picture alphabet. The ideas of symbols and representation would encourage user interaction and intrigue within my final outcome. Hieroglyphics and the meaning behind each symbol is something to research further so as to understand the origin of other languages which are far away from the alphabet we use today. This also links to the idea of drawing on walls and how a story can be told purely through a visual format rather than oral folklore.

One of the limitations of my work currently is the lack of colour as my materials consist of black Indian ink and pen and inks on white paper. I am looking to improve my colour theory which will be especially important through this brief as colour is present within every aspect. I was therefore sent on a mission by my tutor to collect paint brushes, cartridge paper, Quink ink and Domestos bleach. Quink Ink is a traditional ink containing petrol which then reacts to bleach by turning the original black substance into an earthy orange. This is a way of colour entering my style without changing my working process. These paintings can then be inverted or adjusted digitally to create a range of colour prints to add to my portfolio. The orange is relevant to traditional Folklore as this is a colour which is often seen within storytelling artefacts, but is also representative of fire and earth.

Another way of enhancing my illustrative style is to broaden out from paper as my surface. This was part of my feedback from last term, as my work needs to develop with more risk-taking. Therefore, I am looking to experiment with fabrics, knitting and embroidery as they are traditional within folklore community. My starting point with this idea is to re-create some of the images through a sewing machine so as to build texture within my experimentation. I have already painted ink and bleach onto the fabrics but due to the consistency of the ink, the colour bleads and doesn’t create a dynamic contrast.

When discussing my reservations with colour, another tutor showed me how to study pixels in order to create a colour scheme. This was through enlarging image size on Photoshop and then decreasing the size again. This created an obscure version of the original image, but also gave interesting patterns and shades of colour which I could then combine with ink and sewing experiments. I feel that this would be a successful way of incorporating a colour palette into my work as unfortunately this is not something which come natural to me. However, when the colours are computer generated I find it much easier to pick out complimentary colours which are also relevant to my subject matter and style.

img_5521img_5526img_5527

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s